Translate

Friday, July 12, 2013

I am in Asia!

From Omsk Gerry and I left town pointing east. It was not long before the climbs of the Ural mountains began. Though they were not huge they were consistent and for 4 days I was either going up or down. Summer began while I was there and taking advantage of the solstice Gerry and I biked until 1030 one night, still an hour before sunset. I certainly appreciate the long days however it makes star gazing very difficult.

The continent of Asia begins in the Ural mountains. I had no faith that Russia would put up a sign so as the line neared I smiled and posed at all of the passes, straddling the perceived boundary. Russia came through though and a tall monument stood on the line. It took me 8601 kilometers to cross Europe. It's bigger than I thought. Gerry was there with me and it is his first time to Asia as well.

So now in Asia the people continue to be friendly. Giving me cookies, key chains, refrigerator magnets, buying my lunch. So many nice experiences with people just wondering what I am doing in their corner of Siberia. Beards are not in style here, neither is being a dirty cyclists, so Gerry and I made quite scene wherever we stopped. Usually it was for ice cream at gas stations, at least 4 times a day. After a week of that we parted ways. He is planning to keep biking into the USA next year so maybe I'll rejoin him there. You can find his stories at gerrythetramp.WordPress.Com.

In a rare coincidence a group of motorcycle tourists that I met in Ukraine I met again. At a gas station 5 weeks before this meeting they bought me an orange juice. They were going to Mongolia then, but didn't quite make it and now are on their way back to western Europe. It was very exciting to bump into someone I know. Their site is ridetomongolia.Com.

From here in Novosibirsk I head south towards mountains and Mongolia. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment