Translate

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Yukon do it!

I'm in Canada now. It has been beautiful. I've been biking in broad valleys with the tallest mountains in Canada to the south. They are snow capped and huge and impressive and I cannot even see the heart of them. The foothills block my view, and according to one museum I stopped at there are actually no roads that go far enough into the mountains to give views of the tallest peaks. Where there are roads the towns are few and very far between. Keeping enough food to get to the next bit of civilization continues to be tricky.

The wildlife fills in where the people are not. Camping next to the road one morning I was woken up by a woman yelling from her car that a bear was coming my way and to be careful. A few minutes later the bear strolled past only 30 yards away. It must have smelled me considering it's been 10 days since I washed my shirt but it wasn't interested and continued down the road. Caribou have started showing up along side the road too. We stare at each other briefly and then one of us scampers off. I saw little horn sheep high up in the hills from an observation center. They were white as snow roaming through the green pastures.

Besides the bears wandering by camping has been great. Gerry and I found a  traditional log house to sleep in one night. It was a display outside of the Yukon First Nation's cultural center. In the cultural center the next morning I met some of the natives from the local tribes.

The weather has been great so far. Warm days, sometimes tailwind. The night are cool and comfortable. It rains just enough to rinse me off when I need it but never soak me.

I met a northbound cyclist coming from Argentina. He was French and only spoke French. His odometer read 21000 kilometers. He had been going only since December, faster than me so far. For all those wondering how my legs can handle all this biking, he was 62!














No comments:

Post a Comment