A lot of exciting things have been happening. From Boise I traveled to Portland. Along the way I rode on one of my favorite roads. It follows the John Day River Valley. Ten years ago I traveled this road when I biked across the states. Whenever someone asks me what my favorite terrain is I tell them "along a river, traveling down stream" and I think of this road specifically. I remember there being a lot of dead snakes on that road and sadly it seems they are still there.
I stopped at Smith Rock state park. By chance I ran into my friend Martha there. It is a beautiful climbing area. A lazy river winds around a towering rock outcropping. From there I could see mount Jefferson and Mount Hood rising up in the distance. It would be a day and a half before I reached the pass near Mount Hood which was followed by a 4000 foot descent into Portland.
In Portland I met my friend Ryan. He took off work for a week so that we could bike south along the Cascades to his family lake house. We shortly climbed back up into the mountains I had just descended from. I once again was following a route I've been on before; from a tour I did from Bellingham Washington to Bend Oregon. A beautiful clear green river with wonderful swimming holes was a highlight then as it was now. We traveled to Sisters Oregon where I stopped at the bike shop to get my loose bottom bracket checked. The store owner/town mayor fixed my bike while I drank a beer from a tap in the bike shop. Such a wonderful place. A day later we biked up to Mount Bachelor where we were given a free ride to the top on a chairlift. Sometimes I get celebrity treatment when I explain how far I have come and how far I have left to go. People like it. The restaurant on top of the mountain is great if you ever get a chance to go.
When we made it to the lake house we were joined by Ryan's girlfriend and roommate for the weekend. I slept in the same place, in a lawn chair on the dock, for two nights in a row. It is only the second time on this trip that I've slept in the same place. My legs appreciated it.
Boise art
Boise owl
Smith Rock State Park
Smith Rock State Park
Duck butts
This looks like progress but I was traveling north when I passed this sign.
Ryan in miniature
Pretty Oregon road
A rare bath
The water was perfectly cold for the hot days.
A couple of very cool bikes
My favorite Sisters bike shop.
This storm had wonderful lightning.
Bike celebrities
Todd gave me the free chairlift ride. Thanks Todd!
Such beautiful lakes. This is the view from my camping spot.
Odell Lake
Succulents for you
Thank you Zakovics family for a great weekend of rest.







No comments:
Post a Comment