I don't believe my words can accurately express the feeling of biking through the Ecuador mountains. A typical day found me sleeping high on a ridge, 10,000 feet or more above sea level. In cool thin air I would awake between lovely trees with a view of the world. When the effervescent mist flowing around and below cleared away on the dawn light I would pack up and start biking. Sleeping on the ridge always let me start the day on a downhill. It was never long before the next valley to cross would come into full view. The river, far out of earshot, could be seen small and glittering nearly a mile below. I would leave the ridge and for an hour I rolled and weaved without pedaling, stopping only occasionally to admire the view that was amazing at every turn. When I reached the river the air was warmer, thicker in my lungs and dense enough to have crushed my water jug. I would cross the river, pausing to admire it from the bridge, then for the next four hours of biking I would climb. The air would thin out and cool, the sun crossed the sky lighting the valley from the opposite direction, clouds would come and go. Usually I stopped for lunch, somewhere with a view or a small restaurant that always served chicken and rice. As late afternoon turned to early evening I would crest the next ridge with strength and resolve to spare. Pausing there I always turned to admire chasm I just crossed. I could trace the road, a white scar cutting the green mountain, down to the river and back up right to the place I camped the night before. Feeling accomplished, high on endorphins, happy as could be, I would finish the day. In cool thin air I would find lovely trees with a view to hang my hammock.
Clouds ahead!
Loja castle.
Cell towers often times have the best view around.
Nice hair!
Ingapirca ruins.
Ingapirca stonework.
Ingapirca again.
Street tar artists are my favorite. It comes about from the rare combination of an artist having the job of filling in road cracks with tar.
This was an excellent meal.
Camping with a view.
Some time lapse video I took in Ecuador.

















No comments:
Post a Comment