Traversing towards southern Bolivia took me across wide open valleys before depositing me on the Uyuni salt flat, the largest salt flat in the world. It took me more than a day to bike across. South of the salt flat the roads deteriorated and I began climbing up rocky, sandy tracks into the mountains. Volcano cones rose up around me. The landscape seemed to expand away from me. It was a beautiful place. The remoteness of it was spectacular as well. I had to make my food stretch 11 days between locations I could resupply. I brought four ingredients for that section; rice, oatmeal, pasta and brown sugar. This area was cold too. The highest pass was over 16000 feet. Night time temperatures at that elevation dropped into the single digits Fahrenheit. During the day it warmed up enough to melt my water for cooking before it froze again as the sun set. During a particularly windy night in my tent while high in the mountains I awoke to find snow piling up against my tent fly. By the time the sun rose the high desert had turned into a tundra. The world had been transformed. It was spectacular. The rest of my journey to the Chilean border was punctuated by brilliant white mountains against deep azure skies.
Bolivian fighter jet and my rocketship.
A $2 meal in Bolivia.
Bolivian grocery store.
This must be the right way.
Morning on the Uyuni salt flat.
There is no need to follow a road across the salt flat but this is what one looks like.
Q
The end of a good day.I passed nearly a dozen volcanoes in southern Bolivia.
Camping on the Uyuni salt flat.
Rock and roll!
This road took me to the top of the center peak on the right.
I spent a night in this glass pyramid.
Ready for a silent starry night.
Camping with volcanos.
I saw a lot of these creatures. I'm not sure what they are called, but I know they're related to alpacas and lamas.
My bike is in front of a formation called the "tree of wind".
Such a nice day.
Lama lama.
The desert becomes a tundra.
Flamingos!
View from my tent.




























No comments:
Post a Comment