Translate

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Now Africa

I've been crossing South Africa for the past three weeks or so. Leaving Cape Town I followed a spectacular coastal road pinned between towering white cliffs and the gorgeous south Atlantic and Indian Oceans. I slept in my hammock listening to the rolling surf. This lasted a few days until I turned inland to cross dry empty fields, cracking in the hot sun and swept clean by the wind. Farming happens in the winter here,  when the rains come. I was also passing game reserves and occasionally spotted zebras or antelopes. I've crossed paths with wild baboons and vervet monkeys too.

I've turned north now and towards the mountains of Lesotho. I always love biking through mountains and these have been no exception. Like massive rolling waves I climb and descend gradually over the green hills, passing small towns, sheep herders and subsistence farms along the way. This has lead me up Sani Pass to the border of Lesotho. A full day's effort on a loose dirt road with a lot of pushing. The view all the way up was magnificent. At the top I climbed into a cloud and crossed into Lesotho with mist on my face, greeted by a hundred sheep.

I've had a lot of great interactions with the people here too. Twice I've been invited in for dinner and a bed. So many people wave and say hello. In small towns I wave left and right at everybody, like a pageant winner in a very small parade. Whenever I stop people approach to ask where I came from. A lot of people here walk everywhere so lately when I say I've come from Cape Town I get looks of astonishment or skepticism. They shake their heads and say “strong man” as I bike away.



Cape Town pirate ship.






Check out this cool road cut! Bikes not allowed due to falling rocks.




There were a lot of forest fires near Cape Town.


No traffic here!








Sweater tree.












The start of Sani Pass.






This rock needed to be climbed.








This is even steeper than it looks.


The road up Sani Pass, after the clouds had cleared.


Now the Kingdom of Lesotho! 

No comments:

Post a Comment