I followed bike paths across Germany. They were spread out like a maze along my whole route. I was so excited to find them, paved and following old railroad grades, that I would frequently ride them even if they didn't go in the direction I was trying to get. They were sirens to my wheels. I couldn't help but follow them through the quiet fields and forests, windmills swinging lazily above, or along pleasant tree lined canals. When I got to the end I would check where I was then get back on track headed south.
From Cologne I went to Zurich. That is where I finished this second round in Europe. To get there I passed from Germany into the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France and into Switzerland. In France I took a picture of myself in front of the border sign for a second time. I was wearing my raincoat and rain pants, same as three years ago. Three years on, I've changed, my outfit hasn't. I'm repeating countries now. I take it as a sure sign it is time to find a place to be still. Switzerland is the 41st country I've visited and I think will be my last new one for now. I've got a flight to New York City. I'm making my way home.
I believe that good art is merely that which makes me stop and take a second look.


















No comments:
Post a Comment