Translate

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Now I'm in Spain!

I've left Portugal. Some of the pictures below are from Portugal. Tavera was a great little town in Portugal that had a castle and awesome hostel and cobblestone streets. It had a roundabout with a sculpture. There are many roundabouts here and some of them have nothing or a laughable centerpiece but every once in a while it is done really well.

We took a ferry to Spain. As soon as we got there a friendly old man who took the ferry with us volunteered to show us the city on a bike tour and get us heading the right direction. He did a really great job of it too. Also their was immediately more children and teens than in Portugal and I felt like I had to watch my things closer. A great bike path took us out of town and past many more horses than I've seen so far.

Today we are in Sevilla after a 70 mile ride that Katie volunteered to do! It went through a nice forest full of perfect hammock trees and continued through olive orchards and small towns. So far I would say that the small towns of Spain are not as pristine as they were in Portugal. Everything seems to close from 2-5 here making the towns look shuttered when you bike through in the afternoon.

I weighed all my things on a large melon scale recently. Not including food, water, my bike or the trailer I am carrying 66 pounds. I could send my cold weather things ahead or carry less spare tires and brake pads but I really don't like having to deal with that sort of logistics. So I've decided 66 pounds is not bad for the ability to camp, cook and bike in any weather as well as repair most anything that could happen to my bike. I am just going to eat more and get stronger instead.

2 comments:

  1. You know how to take a great picture bro! Your mother and mine are friends and my Mom told me to check you out! Exciting adventure you're on! I'll be following...safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buenas estuvimos con los dos viajeros en el Puerto de Gallis en la provincia de Cadiz, estan muy bien, me alegro por ellos , estos dias tendran muy mal tiempo en Cadiz y Malaga debido al temporal de agua y viento , espero que lleguen a Ronda, saludos Jose Antonio.

    ReplyDelete