Translate

Sunday, April 14, 2013

The view from Italy

Lets start with the taste of Italy. We had a slow start getting good food but have found that focaccia is the way to go. Also checked off the list is gelato, lasagna, rabbit, gnocchi, tiramasu and pizza. A lot of pizza. Out of all the food eaten on this trip so far I would say that only the French pastries and rabbit have surpassed what is readily available back home in Boulder.

Though we have been traveling as close to the coast as possible the mountains are unavoidable, except by tunneling through them. Which fortunately for me the Italians love tunnels. We've passed through a few everyday. Looking away from the water I can often see snow on the he distant peaks. The mountains have made camping a little difficult though we have found nice camp grounds as well. We have camped with wild pigs on 3 occasions now. They seem to just want to get muddy and root around in the dirt though listening to them around you while you lay in a hammock is a little unsettling.

Right away when I got to Italy I noticed the towns having more color than French towns. Many of the towns seem to favor easter colors throughout. This was especially true in the small secluded tourist towns collectively called Cinque Terre. These are 5 towns built in steep valleys on the coast. Each about a mile from the other. The towns are closed to cars, you can drive up to town but not into them, but the train runs between them and this was how we traveled. A rather confusing system that required me to hike my bike up and down a too many flights of stairs over the couple of days we were there.

I've also discovered the miniature effect on my camera so you can look forward to full size things looking oddly small (or not).

1 comment:

  1. I hear Italian drivers are crazy. Keep it safe kids. While those pigs are roaming around, build a fire and have yourself a nice roast pig on a spit!

    ReplyDelete