Translate

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Home Again

What ends a trip of 11,000 miles spanning 2 continents, 13 countries, 7 time zones and 242 days? Most every night spent sleeping in the elements on the dirt or in the trees. Existing as a stranger to the land, the language, the customs, and the people. Much of the time spent isolated, boxed in by the earth, sky and horizon. Even in a box that size I could find myself alone. Nearly every morning I awoke with the only option to keep moving forward towards the unknown down the road where I would have to find a place to hide and sleep. Cut off from friend, family, all who cared about me except for the occasional free WiFi hotspots where I could receive emails and sometimes make calls. Moving under my own power while carrying my food and water, the tools to keep me going, the first aid to heal my wounds, my bed and shelter and clothes for warmth. Maybe the question to ask is not what ends it but why did it last so long in the first place?

That question seems harder to answer but I have my reasons. The trip was beautiful. I saw landscapes I had never experienced before. I could fill a book with stunning sunset photos. I saw more shooting stars than I've seen my whole life. I slept in my hammock, wrapped in the scent of trees and flowers I had not known before. I climbed mountains. I followed wide flat deep rivers until they were a trickle I could step across. Then over the pass I would follow the trickle until it was a roaring river once again. I saw animals, beetles, birds lizards and butterflies. Many of which I have never seen before. The scenes where wonderful every day and every day I made a point to enjoy them.

I became a celebrity on this trip. Never have so many people approached me to see what I was doing, wanting to know me, wanting to be my friend. So many times I was invited into people's homes as a stranger by strangers and we both trusted each other. I was given food, clothing, showers, alcohol, places to sleep or just shelter from a storm not because I looked so pathetic (that point is debatable I know), but because kind people are everywhere and I put myself out there to meet those people. When I needed water I was given water, and when I was hungry food would find me, and apparently I always looked like I needed a drink. Not every meal or sip of water was given but when I needed it it was there. I posed for photos nearly every day. There was only a single day on the whole trip, deep into siberia, where I talked to no one.

Of course a trip such as this can't pass without gaining some perspective. Now that I have been back for a couple of weeks I can tell you what stands out for me the most. People speaking english, everywhere I go, and it is great. Turns out, of all the fine cuisines in the world, I like my mom's home cooking the best. Spending the whole day knowing where I will be sleeping takes a lot of stress off. I love sleeping in my hammock though so a bed is not necessarily an improvement. I do miss riding my bike so much. I somehow never really tired of that. The constant fatigue and lactic acid burn I'm happy to be without. Hugs were hard to come by out there too but not here around my friends and family.

It was an incredible journey. I am proud of myself for doing it. I impressed myself with how far I went and was glad I could let myself stop when that time came too. Thanks to everyone who followed along. I am glad I could inspire or at least entertain. I don't know where or when the next trip will be but when it happens, and it will, I will write about it here.

Jacob































































3 comments:

  1. Welcome home Jacob! Thank you very much for giving us so much of interesting time when we were looking at your pictures and reading your stories. I'm very proud and happy by the fact that I met Such Famous Traveler in person. Best regards from Crimea!
    Eugene & family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacob!!! I'm very happy for you What you got back home and that you are fine! It was very interesting to follow your journey Thank you Come to Russia yet! I would be happy to ride with you! your friend Vasili

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from Krasnodar, Jacob! We often remember your visit! I wish you new journeys. Marina.

    ReplyDelete